Feature - Implemented Allow option to play a sound upon KoLmafia Chat message send/recieve

chironex

It would be extremely helpful to have the option to make my computer "ding" whenever someone says something in chat (or when you say something in chat). That way, I could do homework, but have my attention called to me when something happens. (For example.)

Spiny

Isn't that what instant messenger programs are for? :D If you're in a busy clan or channel or whatever, your computer will ding off the wall if this feature was enabled. And seeing as such a feature request would affect everyone using mafia chat and not just you... I don't think it's a good idea.

Bale

Minion
Many times I've thought it was nice if mafia's chat would "ding" when I got a PM, but definitely not on channel traffic.

Grotfang

Developer
Not something I think *needs* to go into the main source, but possibly worth a discussion. The attached patch uses a variable (global, but not attached to the Options Panel, so needs to be edited manually or via the CLI) called chatBeep (true or false, default false). If true, it will emit your system's default beeping noise on receipt of a private message.

Attachments

• Beep.diff
    1.2 KB · Views: 42

Grotfang

Developer
It's code I've removed from my local version, frankly (unlike the message click ability). Just figured since it was so trivial to add, may as well offer it up for folks who want it.

Bale

Minion
I'm not sure if it is good or bad, but I think I'll try it out.

I'm definitely starting to think it would be nice to have a forum for mafia patching.

Grotfang

Developer
I think that's definitely the best way to keep this code -- unsubmitted, but available to those who want to apply it themselves. Does this mean we can consider this request resolved?

Bale

Minion
I think that's definitely the best way to keep this code -- unsubmitted, but available to those who want to apply it themselves. Does this mean we can consider this request resolved?

I'm not sure. A lot of people find it intimidating to have to compile mafia themselves, even with that helpful page on the wiki.

Winterbay

I'm not sure. A lot of people find it intimidating to have to compile mafia themselves, even with that helpful page on the wiki.

Also, a lot of people do not have an environment in which they actually can compile mafia in (not allowed to install programs and whatnot).

Fluxxdog

I suppose the question is, then, can we make modules for Mafia? We have ASH scripts that is limited to Mafia's internal programming to expand its use. What about small external programs to accomplish certain objectives? Such as playing a sound file when you get a PM. Not something that would be in the main Mafia code, but an optional D/L.

In a sense, patches that don't have to be compiled in.

Grotfang

Developer
That sounds like a lot of work for very little gain. Also, it allows an incredible amount of forking to occur without the people doing it really understanding the code. I would predict a lot of bug reports that would be a PitA to solve. Uncommitted patches really would have to be "for advanced users only", I think -- people who know how to (and are in an environment where they are able to) apply and take responsibility for the changes themselves.

Most useful changes (if they affect enough people) enter the main code. By definition we are talking about niche, or potentially harmful/unstable features.

Bale

Minion
I've been using this patch. It's a nice little feature that has improved my quality of life.

Thanks Grotfang.

Journeyman

Really sorry to necro--couldn't find anything but this in search. Has this feature been removed? I can't find a setting to turn on a sound for chat.
If it's possible, it'd be swell to be able to set a ding via headphones/speakers, default being off. Sounds like such a thing existed and I swear I remember something like it once...

(If the setting is obvious, insert appropriate shaming--I swear I just read every setting!)

Theraze

Not something I think *needs* to go into the main source, but possibly worth a discussion. The attached patch uses a variable (global, but not attached to the Options Panel, so needs to be edited manually or via the CLI) called chatBeep (true or false, default false). If true, it will emit your system's default beeping noise on receipt of a private message.

Just checking... you actually read post 4 which fully explained that this was a hidden preference, and manually set chatBeep to true to turn it on, and it didn't work. Right?

Journeyman

Just checking... you actually read post 4 which fully explained that this was a hidden preference, and manually set chatBeep to true to turn it on, and it didn't work. Right?

I actually did! :D set chatBeep true, right? It didn't complain at me when I ran that command. But...no beeping! Is there a way to set what the beep is, or how it's played back? Or is it internal speaker only? I think my internal motherboard speaker works, but I don't actually know how to test it... (It would certainly be more convenient if it played through conventional default audio device). But either way, no beep for me :( Oh I've got 13682.jar, if it makes a difference

Bale

Minion
It's not your motherboard speaker, it'd be heard through your usual audio device. The beep is set by your system OS's default beep. Look for it in your operating system settings. Windows, Mac and Linux are different so I'll trust you can figure it out.