overwriting data/adventures.txt

antuvschle

I just started using svn to retrieve mafia code, so i'm grabbing whatever's current, not the daily or hourly build, since I can build locally. I'm on OSX and I stuck a symlink under /Applications/KoLMafia/Contents/Resources/Java to the one in my dist folder under svn. hope that's about right.

All I've been doing out of the ordinary is maintaining a local adventures.txt with some additional goals that it drives me nuts to type in each time. I'm not messing in the build directory but rather in the ~/Library/Application Support dir.

This is the main thing that is keeping me from updating every time I run. Because whether or not there was a revision in svn, the first time I run a new build it always deletes adventures.txt! So, I manually merge the file with new stuff from svn, then copy it into the dir, start mafia, close it w/o logging in, copy *again*, and start mafia again. So it also doesn't realize that, say, my adventures.txt is newer than the build so I might know what I'm doing...

Is there any way to locally disable whatever idiot-proofing is removing my adventures.txt every time I run a new build for the first time?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Find the adventures.txt file in your subversion directory. Edit that one. Your changes will be merged in with any mafia updates, not overwritten.

antuvschle

Thanks, I'll try that. Guess I'm old school and didn't trust it. Or maybe it's that I always get the danged C flags instead of actual merging when I try this kind of thing at work.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The reason we are now deleting the overrides when we detect that you have upgraded is that we are now aggressively WRITING override files when we notice new items. We used to clear the overrides whenever you upgraded a major version. Now, we do it for revision upgrades, too.

I'd consider doing a full clear for a major upgrade and a semi-clear (only tradeitems, itemdescs, equipment, modifiers, statuseffects) on a minor upgrade.

Catch-22

The reason we are now deleting the overrides when we detect that you have upgraded is that we are now aggressively WRITING override files when we notice new items. We used to clear the overrides whenever you upgraded a major version. Now, we do it for revision upgrades, too.

I'd consider doing a full clear for a major upgrade and a semi-clear (only tradeitems, itemdescs, equipment, modifiers, statuseffects) on a minor upgrade.

Thoughts on something like "custom_adventures.txt" that just gets appended to or overwrites matching adventures in adventures.txt?

Same would apply for all other data files.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
You just responded to a note I wrote almost 2 years ago.
Things have changed considerably since then.
What I said is nothing like current reality.
What you suggested is irrelevant.
Thanks and/or sorry.