Identification of Bang Potions

Turtle Juice

I pulled and used 2 large boxes in a run the other day (what was to have been a 3-dayer) and got doubles of 2 potions. As luck would have it, when I used both potions in combat - one turned out to be the booze potion.

Later I went to use the potions and only 1 had been identified in my inventory ... the dark potion (which was the booze potion) wasn't noted as such. And, unfortunately, it was one of the first I tried (being at the top of the list in my inventory).

Is this a common problem using potions in combat?

I'm using the .exe mafia file from a week ago, so it's not an old one.

Thanks.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
My first thought was that it might have been caused by 8044. But then I read over the code, and I can't see how that would be the case (not that I can follow the code very well, or spent too much time on it). And then I remembered that I identified the drunk potion in combat about 5 days ago (along with a single other potion), and mafia still knows which one it is right now.

Turtle Juice

I have the log, but I don't see anywhere that it shows items used during combat.

Code:
[579-613] Battlefield (Frat Uniform) [482,1183,488]
     *> [581] Started hunting War Hippy Windtalker
[614] The Big Wisniewski [65,148,67]
     +> [614] Got ten-leaf clover
     o> Used 1 glimmering roc feather (6 adventures gained) [29,29,29]
     #> Turn [614] pulled 1 glimmering roc feather
     #> Turn [614] pulled 3 disassembled clover
[615-630] Haunted Bathroom [101,1770,85]
     +> [615] Got ten-leaf clover
     +> [616] Got ten-leaf clover
     +> [617] Got ten-leaf clover
     +> [630] Got ten-leaf clover
     #> Turn [617] pulled 1 disassembled clover
     #> Turn [630] pulled 1 handsomeness potion
     => Level 13 (Turn 630)! (79/148/83)

===Day 4===

[631-640] Sorceress' Hedge Maze [121,284,126]

I used the 2 bang potions on the battlefield to identify them, then used it after I leveled up to 13 in the bathroom -- it doesn't show that I used the potion in combat or that I used the potion after I hit 13.

Is there another part to the log somewhere that shows combat items used?

Turtle Juice

well, that makes sense (duh).

Code:
[550] Out By that Rusted-Out Car
Encounter: erudite gremlin
Round 0: turtle juice loses initiative!
You lose 15 hit points
Round 1: turtle juice uses the spices and uses the fizzy potion!
You lose 15 hit points
Round 2: turtle juice uses the spices and uses the dark potion!
You lose 14 hit points
Round 3: turtle juice uses the spices!
You lose 14 hit points
Round 4: turtle juice uses the spices!
You lose 14 hit points
Round 5: turtle juice casts ENTANGLING NOODLES!
Round 6: turtle juice uses the rock band flyers!
Round 7: turtle juice casts SPRING RAINDROP ATTACK!
You gain 21 hit points
You gain 19 Mana Points
Round 8: turtle juice casts SHIELDBUTT!
Round 9: turtle juice casts SHIELDBUTT!
You gain 70 Meat
You gain 14 Fortitude
You gain 35 Wizardliness
You gain 10 Roguishness

Here is where I used it.

Code:
use 1 dark potion of inebriety
You gain 3 Drunkenness

I swear it didn't say "dark potion of inebriety" in my inventory ... I was being very careful since I had just enough adv. left to finish the run. But I guess I can't prove it wasn't user error.

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
That kind of sucks, but if none of them are labeled as the drunk potion (and I like the ! command to see what mafia says about potions even if I don't have them), then I would hunt them down in my session logs on a run that's that important.

Turtle Juice

I wasn't necessarily 'looking' for the drunk potion, I was simply going to avoid it when I came across it while testing other potions. I suppose the safest thing is to simply get rid of any extras ... but the fizzy potion did get labeled correctly, so I don't know. :p

I guess I'll use the paper and pen method in the future, or just leave a cushion of 3 drunk just in case. <-- keep meaning to do this but forgot, but not next time.

Bazaaretw

I pulled and used 2 large boxes in a run the other day (what was to have been a 3-dayer) and got doubles of 2 potions. As luck would have it, when I used both potions in combat - one turned out to be the booze potion.

Later I went to use the potions and only 1 had been identified in my inventory ... the dark potion (which was the booze potion) wasn't noted as such. And, unfortunately, it was one of the first I tried (being at the top of the list in my inventory).

Is this a common problem using potions in combat?

I'm using the .exe mafia file from a week ago, so it's not an old one.

Thanks.
I would like to state I have had this similar issue in the past.