Configurations are being reset sporadically?

Boogaloogaloo

My customisations are disappearing without any particular pattern. Just to be clear things like the identified dusty bottles, bang potions, zone choices, combat actions, and so on.

Any idea how to debug why and how this happens? I run the nightly builds and it has been happening for at least a few weeks now. I had thought it might have been a crash that caused it but it seems to also happen occasionally even after I've closed everything cleanly.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I suggest you go to Preferences -> General and check "Save options to disk whenever they change". This will mean that your settings (including the things you listed) get saved all the time while you're using mafia instead of only when it gets closed properly.

Boogaloogaloo

This option is set.

Another thing to note is that the options under 'Preferences' aren't reset to their defaults. I'll also clarify that this doesn't happen every time. It's very sporadic.

I do run it with -Duser.dir and the -Duser.home options.

Last edited:

jasonharper

Developer
When you listed "combat actions" as something that was disappearing, what exactly did you mean? Are all of your custom combat scripts completely gone, or have they become blank, or is it simply the selection of which CCS to use that's reset?

There is a reported case of something like this happening to a person who would tell KoLmafia to exit - and then close the window before the logout was complete, thus interrupting whatever was going on at the moment. What exactly does "I've closed everything cleanly" mean to you?

Boogaloogaloo

When I refer to "combat actions", I mean that the default action of "attack with weapon" is now set and any special options are reset (pickpocket, noodles).

I don't close the window during the logout process. Usually I use quit from the main menu, and sometimes I use my shortcut to close the main window which then brings up the login screen with messages that it's going through the logout process. I'll have to test if this reproduces it.

Even if this is the case, it would still be surprising to see settings that have been there for days disappear.

Boogaloogaloo

Sorry for double posting, but I think I've solved the problem.

Turns out the USB flash drive had been running out of space, and was truncating the config files. I'm keeping a fairly close eye on it now, but I suspect this was the problem the whole time. Basically, I'm an idiot.