Idea To Save Headaches And Make Things Easier

journe

Can we just get a button to enable/disable whether Mafia is allowed to touch our meat at all?

I'm getting tired of it deciding it needs to go buy more stickers/potions/whatever, and I see no options anywhere.

Or, alternatively, tips on camouflaging meat so Mafia doesn't think I have any would be nice :3

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Look harder for options. If you are unwilling/unable to do that, what makes you think you'd be able to find the new "button" you propose?

(In spite of that, I think it needs to come out of the box with just about everything turned off, as lost and others have suggested repeatedly.)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
For starters, as a partial work around, you might use the Meat Manager functionality to "hide" meat where mafia won't spend it. But I also second the suggestion that you spend some time looking at the options that are already available.

matt.chugg

For starters, as a partial work around, you might use the Meat Manager functionality to "hide" meat where mafia won't spend it. But I also second the suggestion that you spend some time looking at the options that are already available.

why hide meat?! theres no need for a workaround! its right there in the settings! how far did you look?!

Buy items from NPC stores whenever needed
Buy items from Mall stores whenever needed

if thats not configurable enough for you, set the autoBuyPriceLimit value in your pref file.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
why hide meat?! theres no need for a workaround! its right there in the settings! how far did you look?!

I was responding to the literal quote from the OP
Can we just get a button to enable/disable whether Mafia is allowed to touch our meat at all?
and saw no need to repeat veracity's suggestion that the OP investigate settings.

If the meat is hidden it doesn't matter how the preferences are set. The request for a button and the inclusion of "at all" suggests that the OP wanted to make it so that mafia never spent his meat even at some time in the future when another automated means of spending meat is introduced.

journe

>.> To be honest, it never occured to me to delve into the settings. I heard others mentioning the same problem, and just kinda figured "wow, there's so many of us..I'm gonna get my lemming on!"

Thanks for the help, I'll be looking into those now!

Well fortunately for you, I wrote a pretty comprehensive noobie guide in this very forum! Read through it and you might (or might not) pick up a few things. One section deals with getting the settings right.

You may or may not be happy to know that in 13.9, they have defaulted the buy settings to disable. So future people wont have this problems so much.

I recommend allowing NPC store buying though. If you disable it, you are unable to buy cheap fruit, soda water, wad of dough from bugbear, etc. This means your item manager will be rather limited in being able to create food and drinks for you. No NPC item that you would need would really spend a significant amount of meat.

I can see a button being handy as I sometimes enable meat buying from the mall temporarily for some reason.

You might be able to talk one of the people here into making a button for you. Under Preferences, Shortcuts tab you can define buttons yourself. All you have to do is have it cli_execute something to change that particular setting, or do an ash script to Disable buying if enabled and vice versa.

I dont know which property this would be however and the buttons you define are only visable in some odd locations. (minibrowser and a few others)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I recommend allowing NPC store buying though. If you disable it, you are unable to buy cheap fruit, soda water, wad of dough from bugbear, etc. This means your item manager will be rather limited in being able to create food and drinks for you. No NPC item that you would need would really spend a significant amount of meat.

The scary part about that setting is if you screw up and tell mafia to make 100,000 tomato schnapps. I just hope that when I eventually make that mistake I won't have too much meat on hand.

slyz

Developer
If you want your meat to be safe, put it in your closet (you can use the meat manager), and only keep on hand enough for what you're doing.

Sadly, this won't stop you from mispricing a 11m time sword in your shop for 11,000 meat =(

Bale

Minion
The scary part about that setting is if you screw up and tell mafia to make 100,000 tomato schnapps. I just hope that when I eventually make that mistake I won't have too much meat on hand.
It won't do that unless you raise the autoBuyPriceLimit. You're limited to losing 20,000 meat from a single mistake.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
It won't do that unless you raise the autoBuyPriceLimit. You're limited to losing 20,000 meat from a single mistake.

> get autoBuyPriceLimit

Now, onto the item manager, where I have 317 blackberries in inventory and 13 fermenting powder. I click create, go with mafia's prefilled value of 317.

Verifying ingredients...
Verifying ingredients for shot of blackberry schnapps (317)...
Purchasing fermenting powder (304 @ 70)...
You acquire fermenting powder (304)
You spent 21,280 Meat
Purchases complete.
Creating shot of blackberry schnapps (317)...
If you let mafia buy from NPCs and have the meat on hand, mafia does nothing to protect you from spending millions of meat on fermenting powder.

Bale

Minion
Huh. I know it recently stopped me from purchasing a lot of items whose collective price was over 20,000 although each was individually under that limit. Perhaps the difference was because I was purchasing from the mall instead of an NPC?