"Sucker" links

Recently I have been advised that it's against the policies of the kingdom of loathing to have links like the one in my "View profile" link. The link is harmless, and I am just wondering what the oppinion of them here is? Should I remove it, or is it fine?

Yes the Mafia Link.

A quote from my inbox in the kingdom:

From Rubyiucky (#679909) [reply] [quoted]
Date: Monday, October 02, 2006, 10:30AM

I was recently told they were a no-no. I always thought before that they were pretty harmless.

I asked if it fell under 1.8, 1.9, or 3b.

The answer I was given is it falls under 1.8, wether one was rewarded or not.

Thank you for doing so though. I wish everyone was so nice!

From Rubyiucky (#679909) [reply] [quoted]
Date: Monday, October 02, 2006, 09:18AM

I nicely ask that you take the "sucker" link out of your store. In case you did not know it, they are not allowed here.

I thank you in advance for your co-operation.

she is referring to: http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/static.php?id=policy section 1.8

1. Don't act like a jackass in the chat.

This may seem like a rule that leaves a lot of room for interpretation. That's because this is a rule that leaves a lot of room for interpretation. One man's lampshade-on-the-head antics are another man's high-brow entertainment. Some things, however, are situated FIRMLY in the category of jackassery:

8. Posting links to stupid web games that reward you for tricking people into clicking your link.
I have issues with being asked to remove it from my store which is not chat, but that's not the topic. So watcha think...remove or not?

Nightmist

Personally I always thought that section 1 of the policies was for chat... and are you actually rewarded when people click on that link? If no but it still falls under 1.8 then thats just in my opinion, bad. I mean, "No linking to other games... period" would of been more fitting for 1.8 if it was ment to be taken that way.

If its in your store or your profile I don't see any reason why not, they are not exactly very "public" in the terms that a lot of people now days hardly read store descriptions and profile reading I don't expect to be one of the more popular tasks.

Unless it's actually tricking people like "Get free meat here -> Link" Which would be annoying... but as long as it isn't misleading (Perhaps even saying something like "Want to play another game? Link")

Then again even after all that, all I can say is that I'm not a mod so I really can't say anything definate but personally in my view of the policies that it would be okay aslong as it wasn't misleading. (Perhaps just make it a simple link instead of using that referral link, since that does "imply" that you are gaining something in that game.)

wanna see what I gain? It's no secret, there are no changes that can be made no passwords to enter to gain access to "my" account...you could easily claim it as your own. http://mafia.cheats4us.org/index.php?iam=sextoy Heck, the websight doesn't contain hundreds of ads like other games it's just a silly "how many people can you get to click a link" counter that comes with some pictures and says that "sextoy" caught up with you and broke your leg or legs and took some of your money because you owed him.

This entire post has been off topic but o-well.

Aprocalypse

If you posted that link in chat, you'd get warned, and then banned if you did it again... (this is from a chat mod, if you don't know), because it is a sucker link, which is something that the policies, the powers that be, and moderators tend not to like.

it's just a silly "how many people can you get to click a link"

Exactly. =P

8. Posting links to stupid web games that reward you for tricking people into clicking your link.

Moderators are quite likely to also ask you to remove them from stores/profiles, as well, on the same principle. Especially if you are say in chat "Hey, click on my website link!".

[quote author=Aprocalypse link=topic=483.msg2503#msg2503 date=1160557441]
If you posted that link in chat, you'd get warned, and then banned if you did it again... (this is from a chat mod, if you don't know), because it is a sucker link, which is something that the policies, the powers that be, and moderators tend not to like.

Exactly. =P

Moderators are quite likely to also ask you to remove them from stores/profiles, as well, on the same principle. Especially if you are say in chat "Hey, click on my website link!".
[/quote]

I totally agree, and never once posted it in chat. I was sent a k-mail by a mod telling me to remove it from my store. I thought the rule pertained to chat only. we are missing the whole reason for this thread though. It is to determine if I should remove the link from my profile on this web-sight too. Since the issue came up in The Kingdom, I figured I would address it here in this related sight and get the oppinion of others.

On that note, I still have not recieved one answer as to if anyone thinks it's ok, or should be removed.