Cast Ode button from Item manager

Spiny

I've used the Cast Ode button from Item manager with my AT main often. I've also used it with my HC pastamancer who has Ode permed. I broke the prism today and clicked the button before drinking my overflow and imagine my surprise when mafia decided to try to make a rock and roll legend!

Code:
Verifying ingredients for Rock and Roll Legend (1)...
Verifying ingredients for heart of rock and roll (1)...
Robbing the hermit...
You need 1 more hermit permit to continue.
You're not allowed to visit the Hermit.
You need 1 more hot buttered roll to continue.

I keep buy from NPC and buy from mall disabled and I'm grateful for it seeing this behavior in this case. I thought the Cast Ode button was merely a convenient button to cast the buff, I had no idea it would look for the rock and roll legend. Furthermore, typing cast ode had the same behavior, I find this undesirable. I just want to cast the buff with the accordion I have, not make or buy an upgraded one. I had to use the relay browser interface in order to be able to cast the buff without a rock and roll legend!

Last edited:

Spiny

Well sure, but I should be able to cast ode from within mafia without requiring a rock and roll legend, that really is the meat of my post. If checking for any accordion is true, then that should suffice, no?

Bale

Minion
This is not a new behavior. It has done this for a loooong time. If you are out of ronin, then it will attempt to have a 10 turn buff if you use a buff that relies on a epic weapon.

adeyke

Usually, casting AT songs with just a stolen accordion is wasteful, both of MP and of server hits. Getting a Rock and Roll Legend is a very simple way of eliminating that waste, and it'll usually pay for itself quickly enough. If you really only use Ode, and you don't have any other AT songs, and you don't have a Bandersnatch, then those extra turns of the buff aren't actually needed. However, that's really an extreme corner case. And even then, you only have to get the Rock and Roll Legend once, and it'll just pull it from Hangk's in the future.

Spiny

Yeah I don't have a bander and the moment I break prism, I start using buffbots, but if I can cast my own ode, I generally do, or don't, for 1 shot, whether that's for 5 turns or 15 turns is really moot, but I can see your reasoning. I'll work around it. Thanks.

Bale

Minion
And even then, you only have to get the Rock and Roll Legend once, and it'll just pull it from Hangk's in the future.

This.

I also keep an epic turtle tamer weapon and an epic saucepan. Just in case I ever want to do something without bothering a buffbot. Much better than having mafia get "smart" on me. 95% of the time it's a good move, but that remaining 5% you stumbled into can be fixed through such a simple measure.

Last edited:

bumcheekcity

For reference, this has been changed in r7891. Ode, and only Ode, will be cast with a normal accordian should you have one.