Ignoring a buff from mana burning

Is there a way to get control over kolmafias mana burning functionality? for example to ignore a certain buff?

Specifically if i'm using flavour of magic in hobopolis to get bits for a scarehobo, it seems wasteful to burn it up to 1000 turns then change to another flavour and repeat.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
In Preferences -> General there's a setting "Cast buffs not defined in moods during buff balancing". Just make a mood with only the buffs you want to keep going, make sure that's unchecked, and it should work. I think. I don't like mafia automating buffs usually, so I haven't played with it much.

Follow up question, It now ignores flavour of magic as i was hoping, problem is it no longer burns excess mana on summoning things (party favours etc).

Obviously i can't add these as buffs to my mood, so is there a way i can get the best of both worlds? Ignoring some buffs from recasting but burning mp on other non buff spells?

Bale

Minion
I know that problem also. That's why I put summoning for mana burning into my mood script here. That script will (among some other things) summon things with excess mana. Out of ronin/hardcore, it will summon from librams. Inside of ronin/hardcore it will summon noodles, reagents and garnishes. I think you can imagine why different behavior was deemed admirable depending on access to the kingdom.

Rinn

Developer
Maybe mana burning could be another thing we could override with a script like we do with recovery?

Rinn

Developer
The same could practically be said for recovery scripts. Does anyone any know what the exact ordering of events that happens between/before/after automated battles? Or in the relay browser?

Rinn

Developer
- KoLmafia runs the script specified by betweenBattleScript
- KoLmafia creates an implicit checkpoint to return to when it's done
- KoLmafia runs your unconditional trigger script
- KoLmafia runs its mood maintenance routine
- KoLmafia attempts to auto-restore your HP
- KoLmafia runs its excess mana burning routine
- KoLmafia attempts to auto-restore your MP
- KoLmafia reverts to the implicit checkpoint it created earlier
This implies that I actually wouldn't want to do mana burning in the betweenBattleScript because there's a good chance that I could burn down to my mana threshold, then possibly run mood maintenance lowering my mp below the threshold which would trigger a mana restore.

Bale

Minion
Yeah, but what is your choice except to do it as an unconditional trigger script or betweenBattleScript? Unless one of the mafia devs adds the possibility of an manaBurningScript, that's our only option.

jasonharper

Developer
You could mostly override mana burning by turning off the built-in feature, and doing your own in a recoveryScript whenever MP recovery is requested, but none is actually needed.

Even with a script hook, you wouldn't be able to duplicate the built-in mana burner without some way of determining if an effect is in your current mood or not.

Is there anything you might want to accomplish by completely overriding the burner, that couldn't be done much more simply by overriding whether the built-in burner can or can't extend a particular effect? That could be done by checking a "neverExtendXXXX" pref based on the skill ID. I do see a possible need for an actual script hook, to perhaps cast a new skill when there's excess mana and absolutely nothing to spend it on.

Bale

Minion
Primarily what is desired is for mafia to continue to cast summoning spells even when we turn off "Cast buffs not defined in moods during buff balancing". If you could allow us to decouple those two things most people would be happy.