Displaying text in /trade

codster62

I have discussed this before, and I was told it's going to be difficult to display text in /trade or another channel with kolmafia. Anyways, I was experimenting with the visit_url function, and I had a problem. Here is the .ash I have to display one of my macros every7 minutes.

cli_execute("wait 420");
visit_url(" http://www4.kingdomofloathing.com/s...ba8637f264a8ebe8d773f0db186ee6a&graf=/website ");

It waits, then it seems as if it skips over the visit_url command. How would I do this?

codster62

Why is this? Why can't you have it place an advertizement message in /trade every 7 minutes? This should be easy to do.

Alhifar

Mafia specifically blocks any attempts to chat other than through the functions chat_clan() and chat_private(). This is to keep people from using mafia to spam a public channel.

codster62

Well, many people will do it either way manually, and get banned either way, so what is the point in doing that? If I really wanted to, my friend would make a bot to do it for me, but it should be doable in kolmafia... At least that's what I thought. Maybe I can figure out a way to change it to let me post in /trade.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Even if you want to be a dick, please don't tell us here that you intend to change the code to allow you to be one. We obviously can't stop you, but, sheesh.

codster62

I wasn't being a dick or planning on abusing the rules of /trade. I just wanted something that can advertize for me while I am at school and various places. Either way, I can't figure out how to change it so looks like I need my friend to make a bot for me. Thanks anyways...

Grotfang

Developer
codster, you seem to be misunderstanding the principle of what people are trying to explain.

Advertising in /trade is a way to promote your efforts in game. This is considered fair and reasonable. If the advertisements are too repetitive or annoying, the player may be asked to stop, or banned if they do not do so.

By promoting your efforts you are more likely to be able to sell your goods. Good advertising is a good differentiator in this game, and it also rewards people who are around either for more time, or at times of heightened activity.

What you are asking for is a way to completely negate this aspect of the game. By automating these advertisements, what is to stop all of the likeminded players from following this strategy? This would not have a positive impact on the trade channel, as legitimate sellers (ones who actually put some fucking effort into doing it) would be drowned out by people like yourself who want an easy ride.

Mafia would not be a popular tool if its main use were to destroy an aspect of the game that hinges on fair usage. As of yet, no ascension tool or scripting ability can ruin anyone else's capacity to play the ascension game. In addition, the farming tools do no more than a good spreadsheet and some clever maths. Trade hinges, however, on all players having the same tools at their disposal. In short, a handicap is a good thing, provided everyone has the same one. Time is the handicap here, and this is a large part of the trading game (the more time you spend online, the better you do). If you struggle to spend as much time online as others, then tough shit. That's not a good reason to ruin everyone else's enjoyment of that aspect of the game.

As for "not being a dick". Think about it. Think about what I've tried to get across and think about how your actions would change that aspect of the game if everyone were to do it. Hell, just look in /trade and imagine every one of them were doing what you were wanting to and posting every 7 minutes. Then decide whether it is or isn't a dick move.

Tl;dr: I too will be baleeting if you go through with this. Don't.