Adding Holiday Scaling Locations

What's the theory on adding holiday scaling locations like The Shivering Timbers? I know we don't do it for Crimbo in order to not make already bad Crimbo-lag any worse. Is it the same for The Shivering Timbers?

I mean it's trivial for anyone with basic SVN and build ability to build their own custom version, but is there an official policy about automating holiday areas?

[ETA I notice the area's been added under "Holiday" but I was wondering in general. Is Crimbo the only special case?]

Last edited:

Rinn

Developer
Crimbo has the tendency to create crippling lag, giving auto-adventuring functionaly to all of mafia's userbase would only compound the problem.

Who knows, Jick has said on the radio that he's not planning on doing scaling monster this year so it may not be as awful as years past.

Bale

Minion
It will still be awful unless he also makes it unfarmable by giving only limited crimbo fights per day. The farming accounts for more lag than the levelling.

Not that mafia's refusal to add the location will slow down me or many other people who read this forum. I figure the folks here can manage at least that much of a hack, but at least the unwashed masses on the main forum are mostly clueless.

Last edited:
If it'll cause lag, don't use KoLmafia to do it.

Short, sweet, and too the point. Thanks! Also the reason to make sure your scripts hit the server as little as possible.

Any guidelines, words of wisdom, about things to worry about? Things that are known to have caused lag in the past? Mallbots? Shorebots? (Pvp shorebots are obsolete now, but the general principle?)

"Don't be an idiot" is a fine guideline for smart well intentioned people, but the problem I'm worried about is doing something stupid by not realizing I was being an idiot.

holatuwol

Developer
Any guidelines, words of wisdom, about things to worry about?
Increased multi usage and frequent mall searches are the main things, so definitely avoid adding anything that does either of these.

If you're ever in doubt, try inserting your idea into the following sentence: "Seriously, all the people using KoLmafia to [idea], which they would never do normally without KoLmafia, is what makes this game virtually unplayable for everyone manually clicking. KoLmafia's community clearly doesn't care about anyone else playing the game."

If you can see where they're coming from, then it's best that your idea stay in your head.

Bale

Minion
If you're ever in doubt, try inserting your idea into the following sentence: "Seriously, all the people using KoLmafia to [idea], which they would never do normally without KoLmafia, is what makes this game virtually unplayable for everyone manually clicking. KoLmafia's community clearly doesn't care about anyone else playing the game."
Lol! That's very well said. I've got two scripts that will never see the light of day because of that thought, I just wasn't able to express it so clearly.