choice adventure setting changed on its own?

Spiny

I was automating the bounty in the airship. I had double checked the choice adventure settings before starting as I always do. It was set to enter combat (with the mechamech due to having necessary +ML to guarantee that result).

I started adventuring for 89 turns. After the 17th turn, I had to stop the adventuring to buff a clannie. I needed 1 more bounty item and I resumed auto-adventuring:

Code:
Validating adventure sequence...
Condition added: burned-out arcanodiode
burned-out arcanodiode
Requests complete.

Request 1 of 72 (Beanstalk: Fantasy Airship) in progress...

[23482] Fantasy Airship
Encounter: MagiMechTech MechaMech
Strategy: attack with weapon
Round 0: Spiny Twizzler wins initiative!
Round 1: Spiny Twizzler attacks! (auto-attack)
Round 1: Gog does a little fairy dance.
Round 1: magimechtech mechamech takes 407 damage.
You acquire an item: metallic A
You acquire an item: photoprotoneutron torpedo
You acquire an item: burned-out arcanodiode
You gain 9 Strengthliness
You gain 9 Wizardliness
You gain 20 Chutzpah

Conditions satisfied after 1 adventures.
Visiting the Bounty Hunter Hunter...
You acquire an item: filthy lucre
Requests complete.

choiceAdventure182 => 3

When I look at my choice adventure settings now, I see that it now says to get stats. I'm dumbfounded as I've never seen this occur before. I am not using any scripts that affect choice adventure changes.

So, why did the choice change?

Heffed

You weren't by chance running a between battle script that changes your choices?

I turn one on when I want to fight a putty monster for my bounty and forget to turn it off. Then I get surprising choice changes like you mention.

Bale

Minion
When I look at my choice adventure settings now, I see that it now says to get stats. I'm dumbfounded as I've never seen this occur before. I am not using any scripts that affect choice adventure changes.

So, why did the choice change?

That's my fault I'm afraid. I put some intelligent handling of that choice adventure in my recovery script since it is a personal bugaboo. I should remove it since it doesn't really belong in a recovery script, or at least disable it by default.

Anyway, it detects if you need a metallic A or lucre, then if you are running +20ML it will switch to the fight. Then if you don't need a metallic A or lucre (or don't have +20ML) it determines if you will get better stats from the fight or the stat adventure... If you are running a lot of ML and have a stat familiar then the fight could give you more exp, so it figures out which gives more...

In short, you no longer needed to fight MagiMechTech MechaMechs so it decided the stats were better.

Sorry.

Last edited:

Spiny

aha! That solves the mystery :) I knew you'd added some choice adventure handling, but I forgot what it handled. Looking at the script now, it seems alright. No worries :) Thanks!

Bale

Minion
What's your personal opinion? Should I delete it? Should it be disabled by default?

Does the feature make you happy/unhappy?

Spiny

Well, it was easy for me to forget where the choice adventure switch came from because the script is a recovery script... that said... I'm also not the best opinion on this particular matter due to the fact that I'm generally sub-optimal and have never once, to my recollection, chosen the stats option for that particular choice adventure. If I'm not doing a bounty, I always go for the chests. If I am doing the bounty, and have sufficient ML, I go for the fight (unless I really need the chests). If I'm there for any other reason, it's generally for the chests.

This is one of many choice adventures where I probably should consider going for the stats, but have always gone for goodies or restoration instead.

Spiny

Lol... this is a side of me that my real life friends have to put up with...

I get asked by friend: "Do you want breakfast?"
I respond: "I'm ok either way."
Friend responds: "Yes or no?"
I respond: "Ok, sure, I guess."

That said, it's a good feature, disable by default, make it easy for people to turn it on if they want. I think most would enjoy the feature, somewhere, even if it wasn't in this script. A small amount of people who, for whatever reason, collect drops from the MagiMechTech MechaMech's might prefer it disabled, but I dunno... get a second opinion ;)

kain

I'd prefer that a recovery script handle recovery stuff ...

I noticed this yesterday, too, and while I can see how it might be nice to get 60 substats per combat, I'd rather be able to specify myself what the choiceadvs get set to. I'd rather get the 40 mainstat subs and to heck with the off-stat subs, especially in some sort of attempted fast run

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I'd prefer that a recovery script handle recovery stuff ...

This.

I don't use this - or any - script, but it seems cleaner to keep the recovery script doing recovery and let general adventuring parameters, like choice handling, go into a between battle script or something.

Bale

Minion
Yeah. I'll put that stuff into a mood for my usage and get it out of the recovery script.

It was originally in a between battle script, but that doesn't fire during relay browser use so I just added it to the script I was using. I'll make things right.

Thanks.

while I can see how it might be nice to get 60 substats per combat, I'd rather be able to specify myself what the choiceadvs get set to. I'd rather get the 40 mainstat subs and to heck with the off-stat subs, especially in some sort of attempted fast run
Just for the record, it only considered mainstat subs since off-stats won't help you level up.

Last edited: