Triggering bird drop

Is there a way to get mafia to trigger a bird reward from "Welcome Back" without using up an adventure?

For example: if you spend 15 turns talon slashing in birdform, you can pick any adventure location in the relay browser to get your roc feather from "Welcome Back." In the mafia CLI, however, it seems that the only way to get the roc feather is to tell it to adventure somewhere, at which point it will: 1) trigger "Welcome Back", 2) automatically try to adventure again at whichever location you specified.

There are some instances where I just want to trigger "Welcome Back" and don't want mafia to actually spend an adventure anywhere, however. Is there any way to do that, or is it simply a special property of "Welcome Back" that makes it impossible unless you do it manually in the relay browser?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
First I was wondering why you would possibly need this. Then I came up with a scenario: you had to overdrink to get a turn to trigger Welcome Back, and you don't want to adventure falling down drunk.

jasonharper

Developer
If you use another gong, mafia knows how to get the "Welcome Back" done in order to allow the gong to be used. However, there's no way to trigger that behavior without actually using a gong.

From ASH, you could use adv1() to adventure in any normal location, that function exists specifically to allow zero-turn actions like this to be performed without it retrying until an adventure is actually spent.

If you use another gong, mafia knows how to get the "Welcome Back" done in order to allow the gong to be used. However, there's no way to trigger that behavior without actually using a gong.

From ASH, you could use adv1() to adventure in any normal location, that function exists specifically to allow zero-turn actions like this to be performed without it retrying until an adventure is actually spent.

Oh, cool - I didn't see adv1() in the wiki. Is it documented somewhere?

I also ran into an issue with a slimetube script in which mafia kept trying to run a combat over and over again because I was using a tattered scrap and consequently wasn't technically using up an adventure. I assume adv1() would help me out there as well?

Just found the documentation for the function, if anyone else is curious:
http://kolmafia.us/showthread.php?t=2214&highlight=adv1

On a related subject: is there a place in sourceforge or elsewhere where one might be able to see the API for all the ASH functions, including those that have been added in recent revisions?

I've been using the ASH reference in the mafia wiki, but it appears to be missing many more recent functions.

jasonharper

Developer
ashref from the CLI is automatically up-to-date, but only tells you the types of the parameters and return value for each function, not anything about their meaning.

adv1() worked like a charm.

Is anyone updating stuff on the wiki for the ASH function documentation? I'd be glad to help out if there's any interest in overhauling those pages to bring them up to date.

It seems odd that the only place to find how an ASH function works is to search the forums for the original implementation notes.