Script or Link + Questions?

Nightmist

This is more of poll//set of questions then a actual scripting question but the question I'm asking is more or less script requests related.

Points//Questions:

~=~Script Requests Questions~=~

1. Link people, when they ask for a script that can be easily done in CLI scripting, to the specific commands they would be interested in? (Like the scripting.html#TitleHere)
I specifically say CLI scripting because thats the ASH scripting reference doesn't have the linked commands and also the ASH based scripting can seem a lot more daunting.

2. A exception to 1 is when the person looks like they have already read the manual (Assume by the lack of a "example" script they attempted with or some sort of reason to believe they have read the manual and havent just jumped in here to "leech a customized script")

~=~Now on a totally different note~=~

3. How many people would use a "location list" that is put into this forum? (I dont personally use the SVN but I noticed the location names have changed occasionally in updates, I easily remedy this problem since the release I download can have its adventures.dat file extracted quite easily and I can update my locations based on that but I just wonder how many "less informed" people would actually use such a list)

4. How many people would use a equipment map that contains:

• [li]Power[/li]
    [li]Req Amount[/li]
    [li]Req Stat[/li]
    [li]Handed[/li]
    [li]AllStat+[/li]
    [li]Allstat%[/li]
    [li]MoxStat+[/li]
    [li]MoxStat%[/li]
    [li]MusStat+[/li]
    [li]MusStat%[/li]
    [li]MysStat+[/li]
    [li]MysStat%[/li]
    [li]Crit X[/li]
    [li]MelDmg+[/li]
    [li]SplDmg+[/li]
    [li]CldDmg+[/li]
    [li]CldRst+[/li]
    [li]HotDmg+[/li]
    [li]HotRst+[/li]
    [li]SlzDmg+[/li]
    [li]SlzRst+[/li]
    [li]SpkDmg+[/li]
    [li]SpkRst+[/li]
    [li]StnDmg+[/li]
    [li]StnRst+[/li]
    [li]HP+[/li]
    [li]HP%[/li]
    [li]MP+[/li]
    [li]MP%[/li]
    [li]ML+[/li]
    [li]Init%[/li]
    [li]Meat%[/li]
    [li]Item%[/li]
    [li]Advs+[/li]
    [li]PVP+[/li]
Yes I realise some of the effects listed dont even appear on equipment but thats just a list of what I expect might appear... (And so a map ready for it, a good thing is if you request a map value that doesnt exist it just returns 0 and this means I can just filter out the map to only contain equipments that change the stat//thing)
The equipment map may or may not happen depending if the wiki comes back up (Only place I have found with consistant listings of equipments and such)

Edit: Oh and one more thing, who here has already made a "smart mining" script? (By that I mean gets 3 ores, checks, if check fails then continue find the next 3 ores, check and repeat) Just asking or shall I continue the work on my current mining script? (Used to empty out the whole mine, now its optimized a little more and emptys out certain places with certain conditionals (Saves about 12ish adv's) but my new experimental script has a semi-flawed queue system and so had led to me asking if anyone has already made a "smart script")

1 & 2: Unless there are some easy to use codes to do the linking... I am not up for doing this. That is not to say that I do not approve of the idea... But I have a hard enough time holding back the typical RTFM responce as it is. And I am not about to turn the pages of the manual for them.

But please, do not take my opinion as concrete. I do support the idea. Just refuse to go through the effort to do it myself. ;)

3: Depends on what you mean by use... If you mean as a codex that allows script writers the chance to check their script names versus the "master list," then I am afraid very few people would use it.

There are two basic kinds of people. Those that do not need the list, for any number of reasons - not the least of which are those that check location names as soon as they come across a problem, and those that would need the list. Those that would need the list are likely to be comprised mostly - if not solely - by the same users that do not take the time to look over the scripting manual before posting a request for a script - by writing a list that is 97% of the script they are asking for.

4: I have very little need for an item map. But it sounds so damn usefull, that I would ask... No... Request that you keep working on it.

Edit: Sorry, I have not written a mining script of any sort. But if you would like, I'd be happy to look yours over and see if I can not make any helpful suggestions.

jim

I'm new around here and thus still don't know a lot of the obvious. I started with ASH before knowing CLI existed, for example. I still don't know where the CLI manual lives and would be happy to RTFM if someone would tell me where to find it.

On a totally different note: I vote in favor of the equipment map.

Nightmist

RTFM? (I assume it has something to do with reading and the manual >>, not sure to be honest XD)
I'm just rather disturbed with the number of "Icy Peak Request" and then after thats done that is the last post we see from that person again... (Not really sure if its them having all the scripts they need already in the forums... (Then again theres already the mass of peaking scripts already in the forum but they feel the need to request another one >>)... atleast we can try to make them learn then leech, then again im probably just going crazy over nothing XD)

Hmm I actually ment like a data file with all the old//new location names in them but it just dawned on my that since mafia doesnt allow filtering of specific locations it would be a rather large clutter.

[quote author=Presto Ragu link=topic=241.msg1200#msg1200 date=1151408276]
4: I have very little need for an item map. But it sounds so damn usefull, that I would ask... No... Request that you keep working on it.
[/quote]
Haha well I have a preview (Meaning weapon stats) if anyone would like to "try it out". Ill post it in the WIP forum cant say how accurate it has some missing info's but as I said its a demo >>.

Edit: Oh also... is there a need for a "example" script for the CLI scripting?? (I notice the manual doesnt really give an example of a CLI script but then again its so simple >>)

Oh, I also meant to say that for a lot of item information, you can check my DC (Presto Ragu #77470).

It isn't perfect yet, but there are plenty of items to check there.

Dial-uppers beware!

Side note: Read The F****** Manual.

Tirian

As far as item-based maps. the one that would change my life is the one that would associate equippable items with the slot in which they are worn. That would pave the way for an am_i_wearing_a() boolean function that in turn would mean that you can see if you've got all the pieces of an outfit without having to strip. :)

It would also help if there was this sort of comprehensive data for hats and pants, so that one could conceivable iterate through all of the items that we are capable of equipping and figuring out which would maximize a certain desired aspect of our character (moxie, meat drops, +HP, etc.) Again, this is probably going to tie back to being able to associate "hat" with all of the hats as ASH doesn't give us the maps of our inventory/clan list/storage contents (and I'm not arguing that they should).

Knowing about the power of weapons? Meh, not quite so much for me right now. Down the road, I can see the concept of calculating the amount of damage that I am likely to receive in a given location per combat round, comparing it to the amount of damage that I am likely to deliver, and using that to drive my healing and monster level choices, but that's much more complex than my win_game.ash is at the moment. :)

As far as the whole script request issue goes, well. If you don't feel like addressing someone else's requests, then don't. Personally, I only contribute if the problem interests me, which may or may not be related to whether the poster did sufficient research ahead of time. I might be insulated from the bulk of the trouble-makers because peak farming doesn't qualify as a problem that interests me. :)

But if someone wanted to write a FAQ that could be placed in a fairly prominent place that would kindly tackle questions like "Where can I learn more about CLI?", "Who wants to write me a mallbot?", and "Should I pay someone who writes me script?", that seems like it might be a benefit to the community.

ETA: It strikes me that I should confess that I asked in the dev forums last week for an "uneffect" function in CLI that would shrug off buffs, not realizing that it had already been added a while back, so I'm sympathetic to people who are not totally up to speed with the powers of scripting as long as they make some effort beyond posting about how they need a script rewrite because they want to drink strawberry daiquiris instead of salty dogs.

Bishy

It would also help if there was this sort of comprehensive data for hats and pants, so that one could conceivable iterate through all of the items that we are capable of equipping and figuring out which would maximize a certain desired aspect of our character (moxie, meat drops, +HP, etc.)

i started writing a program in vb that did that but got bored after a bit, it picked the best 5 items of each type to wear based on gains to muscle, moxie, myst hp, adventures, combat initiative etc, well, it picked the hat and pants but i never bothered populating the rest :p

Nightmist

[quote author=Tirian link=topic=241.msg1238#msg1238 date=1151606245]
It would also help if there was this sort of comprehensive data for hats and pants,[/quote]
Im just building my inital script with weapons but in theory it should be compatible with all of the wiki (equipment) lists... and now that the wiki's back up I can actually test it ^^;;

[quote author=Tirian link=topic=241.msg1238#msg1238 date=1151606245]
As far as item-based maps. the one that would change my life is the one that would associate equippable items with the slot in which they are worn.[/quote]
Hmm, my old item table used to have this... don't know why I forgot to add this into my new one.
I've currently updated my script to now also return the weapon being ranged or melee but also what slot it fits into. (Until vera or hola put my map into the out-dated area with some mafia update it should suffice >>)

Expect a edit in that script soon-ish >>