Devices for mobile Mafia?

rendar55

Hello all! I'm looking to buy the smallest/cheapest device that is capable of running Mafia as is. It's about one of 5 things I want to be able to do on this device while I travel, and Mafia is the only one that seems to be incompatible with certain kinds of devices. I'm hoping to get some specific recommendations, or get a few questions answered to narrow down the choices. I'm indifferent as to size (MP3 player, tablet, netbook), but it must have a built in screen and be able to fit in a medium sized backpack. We can also assume that I'll be somewhere with both wi-fi and and power outlets.

A quick forum search shows that Android, WinMo, and iOS are out. Is this all still true?
I've ran it on Windows XP and 7. Has anyone had luck running it in Windows 8, or more specifically on a Microsoft Surface?
I'm assuming Chromebooks are out. Can anyone confirm?
If I end up going with a netbook with Windows 7 installed, would mafia benefit more from a slightly more powerful processor or more RAM if I'm able to min/max specs?

All input is appreciated!

Theraze

Your big requirement is a fully working Java stack.

I'm using Win8, not WinRT, which is what I think you're actually asking about... Win8 works fine. It's still a standard Intel/AMD processor. The ARM processor... well, probably. But you'll need to wait for someone else on that. :)

roippi

Developer
I do not believe WinRT will run Java, so get the Pro version of surface if you're going that route.

xKiv

Your big requirement is a fully working Java stack.

Very very slight "correction": fully working Java SE stack.
That SE stands for "standard edition". There's also EE (enterprise edition) which does stuff that you almost definitely don't want, and ME (mobile edition) which is what you will likely get on mobile devices (and it won't have certain parts that might not make sense without a desktop computer - on the other hand it will have certain parts that *don't* make sense on a desktop). (this might confuse some people because their device "has java" but refuses to run their java apps)
Each of these 3 can be called "fully working java stack", just like a racing car, cart and a truck can all be called "fully working vehicles" (as long as none of them are broken).

Catch-22

It has only been very recently that Oracle announced a JDK that works on Linux ARM. I would say it's only a matter of time before other ARM devices (Android, WinRT, et al.) have a working JDK, but for now they don't.

My advice would be to look at either a Netbook or an Ultrabook (there are some really nice ones on the market at the moment). If the Surface tickles your fancy, make sure it's the Pro version as Roippi said. (Edit: I should note that the Surface Pro isn't due until I think January 2013. Also, depending on where you live, you may not find it in stock.)

Early-ish next year (probably end of Q1), there will likely be a few x86 (ie. non-ARM) tablets floating around, if you wanted to wait that long.

Last edited: