Mafia hangs at "Examining equipment in closet"

pcwspunkmaster

First post, and it's one asking for help. Great start, right?

Long story short, Mafia hangs at "Examining equipment in closet", but there are a few odd caveats:
- It happens at my office, but not home or at a hotel (I travel for business)
- I am using java7, but due to the above, I tend to dismiss that as the cause
- While it is 'examining', I can use the toolbar to open up the adventuring window, relay browser, etc
- Adventuring seems to work fine, even with the 'examining' window still in the background, until I try to change equipment. Then it truly freezes, and other toolbar choices are grayed out.

It would appear that it's simply a firewall issue, but being able to do pretty much everything else is throwing my theory off. I have no information about the firewall here at the office, and unfortunately no way of getting reliable answers about it.

Ideas?

slyz

Developer
- I am using java7, but due to the above, I tend to dismiss that as the cause
I take it that you use the same computer from all those different locations?

Which version of Mafia are you running? It should be displayed as "v15.3 r11XXX" in the title of the main Mafia window.

pcwspunkmaster

I take it that you use the same computer from all those different locations?

Which version of Mafia are you running?

Same computer, tried with build 11256 and 11271 with the same result. Everything screams "firewall issue", but why would only that one piece get stuck when adventuring goes just fine?!?

pcwspunkmaster

Do you have a lot of items in your closet? (compared to inventory)
Hagnk's, yes. Closet, nothing at all.
EDIT: And by "yes", I mean "YYYEEEESSSS". I'm a bit of a hoarder in that way. I've left Mafia loading on that screen for five hours with no change though.

Sounds like Java 7, to be honest.
That was my first thought too, but I'm using the same computer in every location. The result is based on my physical location. Can Java 7 be affected that way?

Last edited:

holatuwol

Developer
Also take a debug log so we know if it's hanging on handling the reply or if it's hanging trying to get the reply, since the URL itself may give a hint (could be some kind of URL filter at your workplace).

Catch-22

"You're not sexy enough for this shirt." appears on closet.php. Perhaps there's a stupidly over restrictive content filter at your workplace?

I'm sure checking to see if your workplace blocks any mentions of the word "sex" in web pages is a simple enough task, so if that's not it (it does seem pretty extreme), you could try visiting the closet through the relay browser, see if that works. Better yet, try checking your closet without even using KoLmafia at all. If it doesn't work in vanilla KoL, that rules out the problem lying with KoLmafia/Java 7 entirely.

pcwspunkmaster

OK, I'm back in my office for the first time in a few weeks. And again - thank you all for your input.

I tested Mafia at my home, hotel room, and office in the past two days with build 11372. I got the same result - works at home and hotel, does not not work at the office. Temporarily uninstalled Java7 as suggested by Roippi, and it now works at the office. Unfortunately, the project I'm working on is dependent on Java7, so it looks like the answer for me is that I can't use Mafia for my slacking off, since the uninstall/reinstall each time would be a bit too inconvenient.

I am still baffled by it though. How is the version of Java causing problems at one location, but not several others? In any case, I am posting the debug log that Holatuwol requested. I ran it when using Java6, and then again using Java7. I apologize that I am not more well-versed in debug logs, so I'm not sure if it overwrites or appends.

And yes, I made the terrible sacrifice that Catch-22 suggested and tested the office's filter. I'm happy to report that I was able to see....things. Using vanilla KOL has no problems other than...you know...being vanilla KOL.

View attachment DEBUG_20120807.txt

ETA: OK, it does append. Hopefully that enables somebody smarter than me to compare the two login attempts.

Theraze

If you do have both versions installed, you SHOULD be able to force mafia to use a specific version by fully passing the executable path... For example, if Java 1.6.35 is installed in
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin
you should be able to start mafia with
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar KoLMafia-latest.jar
assuming, of course, that your mafia jar is named KoLMafia-latest. :)

pcwspunkmaster

If you do have both versions installed, you SHOULD be able to force mafia to use a specific version by fully passing the executable path... For example, if Java 1.6.35 is installed in you should be able to start mafia withassuming, of course, that your mafia jar is named KoLMafia-latest. :)

Sweet, I now have a nice little easily-editable .bat file living in my KoL folder. It works at the hotel, and according to the debug log, it's forcing Java6. I'll test it at the office in a few days just to confirm.

slyz

Developer
From your debug log:

- in the response send by KoL for closet.php?which=1:
Code:
Though your closet is large, it contains no food or beverages.
- in the response for closet.php?which=2:
Code:
Though your closet is large, it contains no equipment.
- in the response for closet.php?which=3:
Code:
Though your closet is large, it contains no miscellaneous items.

Catch-22

in the response for closet.php?which=2:

There's no responseText returned for this request in the Java 7 section of the debug log, I am guessing this is where KoLmafia hangs. It's weird because the first closet section request goes through fine in Java 7.

Edit: Possibly worth noting that if the responseText is null there's a different log message, which is also not being printed.

Last edited:

Theraze

Sweet, I now have a nice little easily-editable .bat file living in my KoL folder. It works at the hotel, and according to the debug log, it's forcing Java6. I'll test it at the office in a few days just to confirm.

Also, if you're using differently named Jars, you could make your batch file have %1 instead of the Jar name, and that should make you able to do Java6.bat KoLMafia.jar to launch it without needing to edit the batch file every time.

slyz

Developer
Oh, I read the posts rather quickly and didn't notice the debug log had tentatives with Java 6 and Java 7.

pcwspunkmaster

Also, if you're using differently named Jars, you could make your batch file have %1 instead of the Jar name, and that should make you able to do Java6.bat KoLMafia.jar to launch it without needing to edit the batch file every time.

Works like a charm at the office. I'm still puzzled by why Java7 works in three locations, but not one other. As far as I'm concerned, my issue is solved, but I'm certainly willing to test out different things if the devs want to delve into it further.

Thank you all again for your help!