Latest SVN Changes forum section not updating

Ethelred

The Lastest SVN Changes forum section has not updated since r10935 even though r10936 and r10937 (at least) have been committed. This was mentioned in passing in another thread, but I thought it was worth mentioning in a separate thread to expose it to a broader audience.

matt.chugg

hmm

line 21, column 50: XML parsing error: <unknown>:21:50: undefined entity
<title>10936: The Nostril of the Serpent is item n°5645, not 5545.</title>

it looks like the title has been htmlentitised, but that isn't valid xml, since the main use of the rss feed is for on the forum, i'd like to make sure it works as html however wrapping the title in cdata tags results in the cdata tags being encoded and breaking the feed again.

As a quick fix i'm going to modify the commit message in my database, and come up with a better fix later!

Edit: done.

Whilst this is a bug in MY code, this isn't really a kolmafia bug, could someone move this somewhere better please!

Last edited:

Ethelred

Whilst this is a bug in MY code, this isn't really a kolmafia bug, could someone move this somewhere better please!

Ah, sorry about that. I'm not sure how I should report bugs/problems with the forums, support tools, etc. Maybe some different categories. Or maybe I just overlooked already existing methods.

slyz

Developer
Sorry about that. Using "n°" for "number" is a French habit, I doubt it is done in English too.

Last edited:

matt.chugg

Not your fault slyz, to be fair, either the svntomysql script should handle it when getting the latest information, or more properly the feed generator should account for it and not encode them to html entities. probably. i'll have to double check the rss spec, but it isn't really intended for html I don't think.

Ethelred

This seems to be happening again. My ant daily build just updated me from r11231 to r11236 and none of r11232 thru 11236 are showing up in the Latest SVN Changes thread for me.

Catch-22

This seems to be happening again. My ant daily build just updated me from r11231 to r11236 and none of r11232 thru 11236 are showing up in the Latest SVN Changes thread for me.

Yeah, appears to be broken due to the ™ in Drizzlers™.

My guess? <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> should probably be changed to <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> in the RSS feed.

Last edited:

Winterbay

We seem to have another strange character in a commit message:
Code:
r11232 | kirchoffjosephp | 2012-07-02 13:22:14 -0400 (Mon, 02 Jul 2012) | 1 line  Add daub-breaker, Drizzlersâ„¢ Black Licorice

Catch-22

So yeah, I read up on the rest of the thread instead of just replying to the issue at hand and I realized the old issue never got properly fixed. The two are separate issues, the most recent one due to encoding.

To fix the old issue, you need to escape the ampersand symbol in the HTML character entity. XML only has 5 entities < > & &apos; " (<, >, &, ', "), the XML parser got confused when it saw the non-XML defined character entity. It's a good idea to replace all instances of any of these reserved characters with their XML entities. In this case, ° would become &deg; but when the XML gets parsed, it goes back to looking like °.

To fix the more recent issue, see my post above, the XML encoding should be utf-8 to allow for the ™ symbol (which was not a HTML entity in this case).

Catch-22

Well it's still broken, so the commit notes from r11509 onwards will not show up until either the problem is fixed or matt.chugg manually removes UTF-8 characters from the SVN notes like he has in the past.

matt.chugg

Well it's still broken, so the commit notes from r11509 onwards will not show up until either the problem is fixed or matt.chugg manually removes UTF-8 characters from the SVN notes like he has in the past.

Reference to undefined entity 'Atilde'.
Line: 27 Character: 62

<title>11509: Add support for Summon Rad Libs. Add papier-mâché glob. Explicitly add the plural of...</title>

The problem is in the title element, which is encoded, but the xml standards don't allow anything except > < & and I "thought" wasn't allowed cdata encoding, however i've shouted at the rssbuilder class and told it to cdata the title anyway, lets see what happens!

The bot IS run by Fewyn, however the data it uses is run by me, in this instance, the data was the issue, and the bot was CORRECT to do nothing because the xml wasn't up to scratch. it would I presume have carried on when the ã went out of the last 10 posts leaving us a gap, the cdata fix seems to work.

Last edited:

matt.chugg

Aslo, you can send me a message when it breaks! i'll see quicker like that, although i'd like to point out that uptime has been fairly good!

I dont' remember the issue in July, possibly missed that completly! sorry bout that! it should handle any future characters ok now though.

If there are any missing logs, you can still see them here: http://kolmafia.us/showthread.php?4145-SVN-Log-Searching

Last edited:

Catch-22

The problem is in the title element, which is encoded, but the xml standards don't allow anything except > < & and I "thought" wasn't allowed cdata encoding, however i've shouted at the rssbuilder class and told it to cdata the title anyway, lets see what happens!

For reference, I described an alternative way of fixing the issue you described here, but glad to hear it should be fixed for good now.